Sunday, May 11, 2008

Jeopardy



Jeopardy: a classic game show in America. Wheel of Fortune works the same way. They have been staples of early evening television for as long as I can remember in my twenty two years of life. Alex Trebek and Pat Sajak have held these jobs for a long time, and the popularity of the show sticks.

Anyway, I caught the show last night, and I had a few ideas circulating around my head. Is it just me, or does anyone else feel old when they watch it? I don't mean to offend anyone, but game shows (like Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune) are definitely airing to that older retired demographic. They air at an early time when they eat, and they've been around. Other game shows are targeted at other demographics (i.e. newer reality game shows and other intellectual games). I just think someone hits a different level of watching the show when they bring Jeopardy questions up in regular conversation. "Oh, in Jeopardy last night they asked a question about that country!" Then you kind of know that it's reached a new level.

But I won't lie, when I get a question right, I feel like a million bucks. Hell, I am not near as smart to make it on that show as other Harvard grads who normally stand behind those booths. I am only the shouting state school grad on the couch shouting out every answer and getting less than 10% right, if that at all. I get all excited when they have categories I could potentially get (like Literary Figures or American History). But some of these questions, we'll NEVER use in any other context. The stupid information we pack into our little minds. At least Jeopardy contestants put it to good use. Make some money out of it.

I can't end this post without making a comment about Alex Trebek. Man is he pompous. He pronounces the words like he's a native speaker of the language, and he acts like he knew every answer to every question he asks. There's no WAY that that man is as smart as he comes off. Come on Trebek. Who do you think you're fooling? I know that Will Ferrell didn't get an 100% impression of you down, but he was pretty hysterical.

I saw Trebek on Conan O'Brien once, and his arrogant attitude reflected there too. He has a very young, attractive wife (who's surprised?) and he just seemed to be boasting and full of himself. I mean, whatever, the guy makes a lot of money and has a good job; I'll give him that. I just don't think he needs to act like Mr. Smart Guy, someone I do not believe he is.

And one more question: If you were a contestant on the show, what would your little snipit be when they introduce who you are? I think it's interesting to see the little stories that they choose to talk about themselves, even if it's just for a minute or so. Some are kind of embarassing. I think, really? Of all the things you could talk about yourself, you chose that? Kind of weird. What would you choose?



What do you think about Jeopardy?

No comments: