Wednesday, August 1, 2007

A Thousand Splendid Suns

Has anyone read any great books this summer?

I'm in the middle of one of the best books I have read in a very long time. Khaled Housseni, author of The Kite Runner, came out with a new book this summer called A Thousand Splendid Suns. I can't stop reading it. If anyone read The Kite Runner and was fascinated with it, his new book is a must-read.



While The Kite Runner primarily focused on male characters, A Thousand Splendid Suns focuses on female characters, perhaps why it is more interesting to me. I think Afghanistan's treatment of women and culture altogether is intriguing, probably because I know nothing about it and it is so foreign to American culture. This new book also explores Afghanistan culture, as The Kite Runner did, a great fictional novel that helps one explore a foreign culture and history.

Even though the summer isn't over, I know this will be my favorite book of my summer reading, hands down. I can't put it down, and I keep thinking of how powerful this book would be in a classroom. But, despite my hopes, this book has a slim chance at entering the classroom due to violence and sexuality. Maybe in a college environment this could pass... A Thousand Splendid Suns should be taught in high school classrooms though, for the Middle East is highly involved with our country, yet we barely learn anything about it in school. I think it would be beneficial to learn about those that we struggle with across seas. We should at least try to understand Middle Eastern countries even though this country is highly prejudiced against them.

I want to hear some good book titles though. What suggestions do you have for me?

1 comment:

Diane said...

I want to borrow it when you're done.