Saturday, August 11, 2007

Slow Down

I took a long walk today, and I just wanted to kindly ramble on about it.

My mom, godmother Bridget and I walked along a bike path that runs from Lake George to Glens Falls. The walk really made me appreciate my surroundings, for I really don't stop to really look at everything around me as much as I should.

Living in Upstate New York, I am constantly surrounded by gorgeous trees, mountains, lakes, plants, and creatures, but I never really pause anymore to appreciate it. On the bike path, I tried to capture everything around me, everything about the area that is familiar to me. I love the little details that contribute to making Upstate New York as gorgeous and unique as it is. I really need to take out my camera sometime.

I find it interesting to look at other people's houses and yards to catch a glimpse of how other people live. I love to see different houses and how people set up their porches or yards. You can almost create a little story in your head about how these people live, but the thing is, you really have no idea. You're probably really far off. But, it makes me think too, then how do outsiders perceive my house from the outside? What kind of house do I want to set up and live in? I don't know if I'm ready to answer that yet.

But, walks are very relaxing, along with the physical exercise that comes along with it. I don't walk as much as I should. It really slows things down, for we're all used to driving and going fast--whizzing by life at rapid speeds. We need to slow down sometimes. Take it easy.

I don't know what I love more, bike riding or walking. You can cover so much distance with bike riding, but you don't capture as much of your surroundings as you do when you're walking slower. Which do you prefer?

Anyway, I will boast my love here for the Adirondacks. I have spent the majority of my weekends this summer here relaxing and letting the environment calm me down from life's details. I love the comfort of the trees all hovering together, the montaints crawling over one another in the distance, the constant chirp of crickets after dark, the smells of fresh plants and flowers, the flow of a calm lake in the morning, the twinkling of the water on the lake from the afternoon sun, or the sound of birds or other wildlife casually living around you, still living there amidst construction and human life.

I'll miss the Adirondacks come fall, but I'll come back. I love it here. I feel at home here. I just want to share it and spread it with everyone I know, for I feel like it's a disservice to hide the beauty I see up here. Try it for yourself. Let me know if you like it or how you like it. Or, just ask me, and I just might ask you up for a visit. ;-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have no idea how homesick for the Adirondacks you made me with your last couple of posts. There is no place like it and it will always be my home and my passion. I only wish I could share it with you as you get to know it for yourself.