Thursday, August 30, 2007

Dominique Appia



Above is one of my favorite pieces of art, called "Between the Gasps of Memory" by Dominique Appia.

Once I saw it, I was immediately in love with it. I bought it as a poster two years ago, and we initially put it in front of our kitchen table. The poster caused a lot of people to squint their eyes and say "that's just really weird," but it also caused a lot of thought-provoking conversations that aimed to dissect the piece.

I still don't really know what it means.

I have ideas, though.

I remember, two years ago, having a great conversation about it with my great friends Paul Michael and Andy. We talked about which area our eyes were drawn to, which area we would feel most comfortable being in, where we would be in the picture if we had the chance to crop ourselves in.

Then, the other night, after I hung the poster in my bedroom, my roommates Jess and Andy looked at the poster in depth, trying to analyze each section. With their help, mostly just Jess and I, I got farhter into understanding it than I normally have. But, I guess I don't really look at it too closely when it's always around. It just becomes another thing on the wall--not something to stop and think about too much when it's always there. However, I like that I have the option to go another step farther with it if I have the time or energy to want to expand my thinking for the day.

So, if you like this piece of artwork or are intrigued by it, please, please, please visit his website. You could explore it for a while, just meandering through his pages and other pieces of artwork. It's one of the best and most interesting websites I've come across--maybe because I am also a fan of artwork. I also have the website in my list of links on the side of my blog if that's easier.

What do you think of his artwork?

I'm going to post some more of his pieces below. Let me know what you think.





7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is certainly interesting for me to read that blog. Thank author for it. I like such topics and everything connected to them. I definitely want to read more soon.

Anonymous said...

By the way, try GSM jammer to jam all spy transmitters in your home or at work.

Avery said...

This really is an amazing piece. Nice write up and everything. Nice job!

Anonymous said...

awesome blog, do you have twitter or facebook? i will bookmark this page thanks. lina holzbauer

Anonymous said...

Love envieth not.

Unknown said...

I have this print also. I have not studied it much myself but I will. I really like it. Reminds me of my younger years. Just really all over the place. I would call this piece ADD.
Have you seen Vladimir Kush's work. Same kind of stuff to me. Very cool. http://vladimirkush.com/

Anonymous said...

why would you call it ADD? do you think he just randomly placed all those things around because he got bored?