Thursday, August 2, 2007

The Simspons Movie



Has anyone seen The Simpsons Movie? If so, did you like it or dislike it?

I've heard more negative reviews than I've heard positive, so I was a little nervous upon seeing the movie. Last night, I went to the drive-in to see it, and I was not disappointed. I laughed uncontrollably at least two times.

But, I can understand why it received much criticism. It seems that, since The Simpsons was and is such a big television hit for the past 15+ years, everyone expected an epic movie of gigantic proportions to match up to its comic genius height. But, in my opinion, (not being the biggest Simpsons watcher or fan throughout my life), the beauty of The Simspons comedy was that it was simple, quick, to-the-point, and telling of our generation. Everything was captured in 30 minute episodes, dealing with a small-time plot that never really effected another episode (except when Flanders' wife died). However, when the show came to the big screen, it needed a longer plot, as any movie does. I think that any longer plot would have disappointed fans just because it's out of the ordinary from what they're used to seeing. Still, I think that they created a good story that was funny, witty, and entertaining.

One thing that I really love about The Simpsons is that they really capture our generation and culture with our music, movies, politics, superstars, clothing, lingo, etc. Naturally, the movie does this as well, and the movie especially emphasizes the underlying motive: a depiction of the suburban, middle-class family that is far from perfect. As you'll find in any episode, examples of this type of family is scattered throughout the episode, as it was in the movie, making it very easy to analyze the characters and their actions.

It might not be the best movie I've seen this summer, but it was entertaining and funny. Let's be honest here: The Simpsons grossed $75 million on opening night--they're going to make a sequel. First of all, if they're stopping the television series, they're going to keep making movies every now and then (maybe surpassing the sequel with others to follow). Second, animated movies are easy to make. They'll keep going. Third, the show will be high in demand after it's gone. People will want to see more new material, and they will pay for it. Movies are in the money. If they're making sequels after bad movies already, why wouldn't they make a sequel? Stay tuned for it; they already had Maggie whisper it during the credits...

And to end, Homer on education: "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?"

No comments: