Thursday, March 13, 2008

Hacky Sacks



Call me a child of the 90s, but I like hacky sacks. I'm not the best at playing with them with my feet, due to my lack of foot coordination besides running, walking, and climbing, but I love to toss those suckers around. And, I love their amazing designs. It's just so...cool.

I looked online, curious for their origination, and look what I discovered, courtesy of this website: "The co-operative kicking sport has ancient origins from China, Thailand, Native America and nearly every country. Hacky Sack or Footbag, as we know it today, is a modern American sport invented in 1972, by John Stalberger and Mike Marshall of Oregon City, Oregon. Marshall had created a hand-made bean bag, that he was kicking around. Stalberger was recovering from knee surgery and was looking for a fun way to exercise his knees. Together, they called the new game "Hackin' the Sack." The two decided to collaborate and market their new game under the trademark of 'Hacky Sack®'."

Interesting, huh?

"Following the invention of Hacky Sack (aka Footbag), different varieties of the sport have evolved including "Footbag Net" where players volley a Hacky Sack over a 5-foot-high net and "Freestyle Footbag" where players stand in a circle and do tricks with the Hacky Sack while passing it around the circle."

Imagine?

Does anyone have any good hacky sackk memories?

I have one here from a good friend, Megan, which I hope to use in the classroom someday. Either that, or someone should teach me some old school hacky sack foot kicking. Bring it on.

What do you think of the hacky sack? Inform me.

No comments: