Sunday, September 23, 2007

Soul to Squeeze



Has the melody of a song ever encompassed how you're feeling at a specific time in your life? Right now, I feel "Soul to Squeeze" by The Red Hot Chili Peppers, perhaps an under-recognized song that was put out as a single years and years ago. It is truly amazing.

Sometimes I just fall in love with the sound of a song without really paying much attention to the words (unfortunately I will admit this, but I am being honest). I am not proud of it, but aren't we all victim of this?

Anyway, "Soul to Squeeze" has that slower, relaxed feeling that I feel lately. Starts off kind of slow but with an upbeat melody, just one person playing by himself, and then the rest of the band builds up to a relaxed, continuous beat. The melody is so calming--it gives this peaceful and happy overtone that I find quite easing.

Then, as I obssess over this song with myself, I check out the lyrics and find that they're not too far off. Maybe the song was speaking to me for a reason. I feel that this is a transition time for me, and I'm trying to figure out what's going on with me (as an individual) and my career (with student teaching). I think this song helps me figure out and explain my feelings.

Do you have songs like this?

I felt the need to share my song love with you all. Feel free to comment on the song or any song that is momentarily yours right now.

Here are the lyrics...

I've got a bad disease
But from my brain is where I bleed.
Insanity it seems
Has got me by my soul to squeeze.

Well all the love from thee
With all the dying trees I scream.
The angels in my dreams (yeah)
Have turned to demons of greed that's mean.

Chorus:
Where I go I just don't know
I got to got to gotta take it slow.
When I find my piece of mind
I'm gonna give you some of my good time.

Today love smiled on me.
It took away my face say please
All that you had to free
You gotta let it be oh yeah.

Chorus

Oh, so polite indeed
Well I got everything I need.
Oh make my days a breeze
And take away my self destruction.

It's bitter baby,
And it's very sweet.
I'm on a rollercoaster,
but I'm on my feet.
Take me to the river,
Let me on your shore.
I'll be coming back baby,
I'll be coming back for more.

Doo doo doo doo dingle zing a dong bone
Ba-di ba-da ba-zumba crunga cong gone bad

I could not forget
But I will not endeavor
Simple pleasures aren't as special
But I wont regret it never.

Chorus

Where I go I just don't know
I might end up somewhere in Mexico.
When I find my piece of mind
I'm gonna keep you for the end of time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Reading your blog makes me feel like were sitting in one of our eccentric living spaces having a late night idea share. For all of those times that we thought we were doing nothing I now look back on those nights and realize how it is within those times that were everything. Sometimes I feel as if I dont need to write a response because you already know my answer.
I'm reading Tuesdays with Maurrie and a line in it compelled me to write a comment. The preface is a question to how Maurrie will communicate to his best friend if he can no longer speak and his friend can no longer hear...
"We will hold hands," Maurrie said. "And there'll be a lot of love passing between us. Ted we've had thirty-five years of friendship. You dont need speech or hearing to feel that."