Sunday, July 22, 2007

Chris Cornell



Happy Birthday to Chris Cornell, who recently turned 43 over the weekend (July 20, 1964 to be exact).

I couldn't believe how old he is when I heard it, but it's not surprising. You just don't think about how old your favorite musicians are when you hear them play. It's like they're immortal or something.

His age is understandable though, from playing with Soundgarden back in the 90s to Audioslave as of late. Now he has a new album coming out, which I am so excited to hear. He's leaving a deep imprint on rock of our time; I am very content that he continues to keep creating and creating, evolving and evolving throughout the years.

Check out this old picture of him from back when he was in Soundgarden:



I discovered Soundgarden when I was in college, around when Audioslave was becoming popular. I was hit with both of his bands at the same time, as I explored his musical genius. Soundgarden ranges from excellent songs with "Outshined," "Blow Up the Outside World," "Burden in My Hand," "Pretty Noose," "Spoon Man," "Black Hole Sun," "Fell On Black Days," and "Just Like Suicide," just to name a few. Audioslave adventured into a new realm, courtesy of the guitar brilliance of Tom Morello, with songs like "Like a Stone," "Cochise," "Show Me How to Live," "I Am the Highway," "Your Time Has Come," "Be Yourself," "Doesn't Remind Me," "Revelations," or "Dandelion."

Which songs do you personally enjoy from either Soundgarden or Audioslave? How do you feel about your favorite artists becoming older, but they are still so young to you in your mind?

One of my absolute favorite songs (especially by Soundgarden) is "Black Hole Sun." I'll end this post with the lyrics.

In my eyes
Indisposed
In disguise
As no one knows
Hides the face
Lies the snake
The sun
In my disgrace
Boiling heat
Summer stench
Beneath the black
The sky looks dead
Call my name
Through the cream
And Ill hear you
Scream again

Black hole sun
Wont you come
And wash away the rain
Black hole sun
Wont you come
Wont you come

Stuttering
Cold and damp
Steal the warm wind
Tired friend
Times are gone
For honest men
And sometimes
Far too long
For snakes
In my shoes
A walking sleep
And my youth
I pray to keep
Heaven send
Hell away
No one sings
Like you
Anymore

Hang my head
Drown my fear
Till you all just
Disappear

No comments: