Sunday, November 18, 2007

Echoes, Silence, Patience, and Grace



For Foo Fighters fans out there, this is no surprise. Recently, they came out with a new CD, Echoes, Silence, Patience, and Grace, which is pretty impressive. (That was quite an alliteration to start out with there, wasn't it? Yes, I am a dork.)

This could just be my opinion, or maybe it's shared by others, but does it sound like members of the Foot Fighters were listening to classic rock before they created this album? Much of it sounds like it was influenced by Led Zeppelin, with the perfect example of their hit single "The Pretender." The introduction seems strangely similar to "Stairway to Heaven," does it not? It starts with a slow tune that sounds VERY close to it. When I downloaded the single when it first came up, "Stairway to Heaven" also appeared under hits for "The Pretender." Hm. So maybe it's not just me.

Additionally, they perform a ballad on the album, which I think is awesome that good bands are currently doing this, but I think it also suggests that they were influenced or tributing classic rock bands. Have other recent bands created ballads? I think it seems a bit of a thing of the past, but I'm glad Foo Fighters have created their own with "The Ballad of the Beaconsfield Miners." It is beautiful and peaceful to listen to, definitely one of my favorite tracks.

The song "Erase/Replace" reminds me of "Speak to Me/Breathe" just with punctuation, but there are clear differences. "Erase/Replace" is repeated back-to-back in the chorus while "Speak to Me/Breathe" is two songs combined into one track.

With each new CD, artists seem to take their music to new and different places, but they still retain their musical energy, sound, and messages. They just expand and grow into changing, evolving musicians. Certain songs on this album remind me of different albums they've made in the past, like they could easily be incorporated into previous albums.

For example, "Stranger Things Have Happened" could easily incorporate itself onto In Your Honor, Disc Two. "Erase/Replace" and "Cheer Up Boys (Your Makeup is Running" are fast-paced, melodic songs that could easily follow "Monkey Wrench" on The Colour and the Shape. "The Pretender" has the catchy, radio-friendly sound that could work on One by One, as would "Come Alive," as it has that similar slow-build up to the end like "Come Back." Lastly, "Home" sounds like it could mesh on Skin and Bones with their live tracks, incorporating the piano. I'm very glad they're using the piano now. "Home" seems like it will be a new classic song for them to play slowly and drive a lot of love and attention from the audience. I think it will be up there with playing "Everlong," "Times Like These," "My Hero," etc.

Overall, excellent CD. I enjoyed it so much I let it stay playing over multiple times on my first hearing. Check it out.

Has anyone else listened to it? Positive/negative reactions?

No comments: