Monday, February 2, 2009

Superbowl Ads

You can always look forward to good (and bad) Superbowl ads. Some try way too hard; others are absolutely hilarious. I found that I disliked more than I liked, but there were definitely some gems in there.

It's actually kind of funny (and interesting) to see how commercials are such a big deal during this event. They are known for and noted for being new and innovative. There's almost an unspoken competition for having the best commercial. I even noticed that new movies aired their first trailers during the commercials, which I thought was a pretty good idea.

Any of these ads can be viewed at Hulu.com at this exact spot.

I always find that there are three categories of Superbowl ads: Amazing, so-so, and lame. Many, many are lame, but some received the amazing category.

Amazing

Bud Light: Featuring Conan O'Brien. No matter what he does, he is absolutely hilarious.

Bud Light with Lime: Captured exactly how I feel with that beer

Pepsi: Using the MacGruber skit from Saturday Night Live. I like that they adapted the popular sketch with Will Forte and Kristen Wiig, even if was endorsing a product.

GE: Wind Energy: A good concept and a good message to spread with bottling the wind in a jar to blow out birthday candles.

CareerBuilder.com: The repetitious replaying of how you might feel during a job that would make you want to quit. Absolutely hilarious of replaying it. Made me laugh every time (especially the first girl yelling in her car).

Denny's: My second favorite, behind Conan. I laughed so hard watching that lady spray whipped cream on the mobster's pancakes. Hilarious.

Pepsi Max: Watching people fall and get injured is always funny in some way. Just look at America's Funniest Home Videos.

Bridgestone: Great idea with the Mr. Potato Head. Very funny.

LAME!

Taco Bell. Come on.

Transformers 2. Lame. Stop making those movies.

Budweiser's clydesdale horse. Every one was strange. What does a horse have to do with beer? And why did it fall in love? It was too dramatic and too odd.

Doritos. I LOVE the product, but every commerical was borderline embarassing to put out and be serious about it.

Star Trek. Really?

E*Trade. Give up on the babies. They're getting old. You can only run something once popular for so long. If the Budweiser frogs were still around, I think we'd all be nonalcholic drinkers.

On Hulu, you can even vote for your favorite commercial. The results are released Tuesday.

So, what did you think of commercials this year?

No comments: