Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Breaking Dawn



Spoiler: Don't read this if you haven't finished the Twilight series yet.

I need to put in my two cents on Stephanie Meyer's concluding book in the Twilight series, Breaking Dawn. This is the book that has the clever chess pieces on it. Not a bad choice for the final book as it really is compiled of strategy and wisdom.

I found this book to be the most interesting one. Twilight was slow to get into. After the baseball game, it picked up and got interesting. New Moon dragged a little in the beginning but it picked up after Jacob's tranformation. Eclipse was building up to this one but still was captivating. Breaking Dawn was what you wished they all were: Action and interest from start to finish.

Basically, all of the books were leading up to this book, which makes the series so enticing and hooking for readers. You really just want to see what happens to this group of people (or immortals), and all questions are answered in this one. I couldn't put this one down. So much was always happening; there was never a good place to stop!

However, this one also had a lot of corny moments. If you thought the others were corny, this is one corny times five. Reneesme "Nessie"? I get the connection but it's kind of lame. Just like her middle name combining Charlie and Carlisle. Lame. I thought her character was kind of lame too. The idea was weird. I didn't see it coming. She just seemed to perfect and all-knowing. I don't know. Maybe I'm being too harsh.

Breaking Dawn gave readers that fairy tale ending they wanted. Bella becomes a vampire. Bella and Edward have a loving child together. They even have a hut in the woods to have their family. They even get into their long awaited romance (wink wink). Peace is instilled with family and friends. It just seems too perfect, but had it not been this way, there would have been a lot of angry fans. Was there any other way to end this? (I wouldn't have involved babies, but that's just me...)



OH! And Jacob and Renesmee together? I didn't like that imprinting. Jacob totally wanted HER MOM and now he's going to hook up with her? It's just all sorts of weird that I don't like. And how is that going to work out? Jacob is mortal and Renesmee will eventually be immortal... Not going to work. Frustrating.

This point wasn't clear to me: Does Charlie know that Bella is a vampire? I know I should have picked it up, but I was reading a bit too fast and couldn't bear to go back and find it...

I'm just surprised that Meyer went with the message to kids: It's okay to start a new life and leave your family, as long as you follow love, no matter who the person is. Despite their bad history or reputation. Follow love.

I just think it's a weird message that you can abandon your family for something else (like love) especially at such a young age. Whatever, at least it's getting kids reading.

Now I have to read Jacob's take on it. We'll see how that goes.

I know that Meyer doesn't want to continue with the series, but she definitely left it open if she wanted to continue, especially from Renesmee's point of view. Does anyone know if Meyer secretly has intentions for putting out more? Or more movies? (I know New Moon is in pre-production...)

Clever name too. The dawn is breaking on their eternal lives together. The titles all have to do with night-time and how the moon is phasing. Twilight, before dusk. New Moon, a new phase or rebirth. Eclipse, a strange, rare, beautiful occurrence. And Breaking Dawn, the start of a new day. But their days are now forever.

So, what did you think of Breaking Dawn?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You totally missed the whole point about family. Bella is fighting FOR her family. Meyer is a Mormon, which means she also believes in the Old and New Testament. When you marry you cleave to your spouse "forsaking all others." You become one half of a new whole. That's why Edward stayed with Bella instead of fighting with his Cullen "relatives" in Eclipse. His loyalty was now to Bella. Bella's loyalty is now Edward and Renesmee. However, she still "honors her mother and father" by keeping them in the dark to varying degrees about her new life and protecting them through this distance. It hurts her to be away from them.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you. The thing about Jacob and Renesmee was a little weird. I mean how is he going to tell Renesmee, "I used to love your mother, and I rode motorcycles with her, and was there for her until the very end, but now I love you" thats not going to go over well.

Anonymous said...

i love Twilight New Moon Eclipse and Breaking Dawn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!