Tuesday, November 18, 2008

NBA Shooting Sleeve



Now that basketball season is in full swing, I have been noticing a large increase in the number of shooting sleeves being worn. Being a new fan of professional basketball, I had no idea what these sleeves were for until only moments ago.

I think it's interesting to see how styles change in sports. Especially in basketball, styles are prevalent and drastically switch. If you watch older games of basketball, you can tell the time period by their style of dress. Shorter shorts were popular in the 70s and 80s while the 90s brought about longer shorts and sweatbands. Now, in the 00s, shooting sleeves are the newest thing, cointed by Allen Iverson.

Apparently, and I'm not 100% sure so correct me if I'm wrong since I'm trying to learn and wrap my head around this, these arm bands are shooting sleeves that are meant to compress the shooting arm, keep it warm, and keep it in perfect shooting form. It's also stylish, but apparently it serves a purpose for play.

Does anyone know how or why this phenomenon started? It's kind of a random idea to try out and become drastically successful.

Is this more a fashion statement or an actual tool to assist play?

I think it's a little strange, but maybe I'm just new to it.

What do you think of the shooting sleeve?

No comments: