Monday, September 22, 2008

VH1's Tribute to the Who



Yesterday I got the glorious opportunity to watch VH1's tribute to The Who. Amazing artists came out to play tribute songs to the band, and then the band performed afterwards.

I was very impressed by all who played and spoke as a quick guest. David Duchovny was the opening speaker to introduce the first band, the Foo Fighters. The Foo Fighters went on first as planned despite Dave Grohl's problem with his vocals. Rainn Wilson came on in between the next set, doing an amazingly hilarious spoof on a weird character (The Office humor). Sean Penn came out last, introducing Pearl Jam. He had a funny moment where he mentioned music stations selling out. I like that he's ballsy enough to announce that during a VH1 show.

All acts had incredible energy. I loved their take on a Who song--every one had its own life and flavor based on the band. They were all right on. Especially Pearl Jam--they really blew my mind with their playing.

I am happy to say that, this summer, I got to see two of these Who tribute songs played live. I saw the Foo Fighters' "Young Man Blues" and Pearl Jam cover "Love Reign O'er Me." Both were phenomenal.



I am glad that they got to have a special concert like this to honor them. As Pete Townshend said, it's much more memorable than being handed a piece of plastic. I think it's the greatest honor to have such well-known, respected bands come out to play one of your songs to you and add their own flavor to it. That's really cool.

Anyway, below is the setlist from the show.

The Foo Fighters -- "Young Man Blues"

Incubus -- "I Can See for Miles"

The Flaming Lips -- "Pinball Wizard"

Tenacious D -- "Squeezebox"

Pearl Jam -- "Love Reign O'er Me" (with orchestra)

Pearl Jam -- "The Real Me"

Adam Sandler -- nonsense introduction to the Who

The Who -- "Teenage Wasteland," "Who Are You," "Behind Blue Eyes," "My Generation," "Tea and Theatre"

So what did you think of the tribute to the Who?

2 comments:

Johannabowr said...

Used Forklift Cella Toyotaall-terrain For Sale Indianapolis New Forklift Mitsubishi Nobleliftfour Way For Sale The freight not being against the heel of the forks. First and foremost, having a clear understating of the requirement is a must.

Anonymous said...

whoah this weblog is great i like reading your articles.
Keep up the great work! You recognize, lots of individuals are searching around for
this information, you could help them greatly.


Also visit my webpage - acoustic guitar a chord