Monday, February 4, 2008

Superbowl



Who was satisfied with last night's outcome during the Superbowl?

I was torn with who I wanted to go with, but then I was certain in my decision: The Patriots. Why? I was going to go for the Giants, simply because I am a New York native and felt that I should back my "home" team, yet I am not the biggest Eli Manning fan. On the other hand, the Patriots are a powerhouse team, undefeated, and were going to make history. Or, do you root for the underdog, the Giants, who I thought surely didn't have a chance.

Well, I was wrong. I really wanted to see history be made, but, as we all know, that really didn't happen. How did that happen?

I think it's cool to witness something historical--even if it's just sports history being broken, like the undefeated season. I really wanted Tom Brady to get that... but, unfortunately, no dice.

And, what did you think of the Superbowl commercials?

It seems that over the past few years, less commercials air. It seems that only about three play per break, and many are Fox related (but they have dibs since they're airing the Superbowl). I thought that more used to air.

Anyway, I loved the commercials that featured awesome celebrities like Will Ferell, Andy Samberg, Chris Kattan, Missy Elliott, and freaking Donkeylips from Salute Your Shorts. Some with the animals went over the top, but they were overall pretty entertaining. I was just wondering what sticks out in the public mind.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers put on an amazing show too. They played four key hits that are instant crowd-pleasers. Even though "Free Falling" is his most played and widely known song, I think that was the best song he played. He slowed the crowd down, and everyone was holding a glow stick, so the whole arena was glowing. It really looked awesome. Tom's sounding a bit hoarse these days, but I guess he is getting old. Perhaps we'll cut some slack to guys like Tom or Bob Dylan who we'll give a lot of credit for continuing to perform despite the negative changes that come with age. Still, great performance.

Who do you think they'll have next year? I think it's only a matter of time before they get Dave Matthews Band in there. I give it three years.

So, Superbowl comments?

1 comment:

Megan said...

I just have to say that I was looking forward to your commentary all last night. Yours actually turned out quite a bit like mine throughout the game last night.

I laghed hysterically when Donkeylips was endorsing Amp (or whatever it was). Nobody in my family knew who he was- my parents were too old for Salute Your Shorts, my brother was too young, and TJ didn't watch Nickelodeon growing up...

Ian was complaining that all of the half-time shows were old guys, and I said just give it time and the bands that we listen to now will soon become half-time entertainment... he suggested DMB, and I said probably sometime within the next 5 years... so, haha.

The Giants winning was the best part... not because they are MY team, but because they are my Stepdad's team... he was SOOO Funny to watch in the last 10 (real-time) minutes of the game... he couldn't sit down and he was screaming and jumping around like a little kid. After the game was over, his friend Chris called and he answered the phone screaming, and then another call beeped through and before saying Hello, he just started screaming and then yelled "WHO IS THIS?!?!" and then ANOTHER call beeped in and he answered it screaming... and then finally asked "WHO IS THIS?!?!"

It was definately hilarious to watch. The game itself was... whatever... I don't really like football... But hey... I drank a whole beer. Cheers.