Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Facebook Rant



Now, it too me a long time to get into Facebook, but I finally did. I wanted to keep in contact with some of my friends that I don't get to talk to that often, and it pays off.

I didn't want to get swarmed into the obsession that I've seen so many of my friends get sucked into. They use it to procrastinate or gossip, both things that I don't take too well with, so I wasn't that interested. It's the latest, newest version of stalking. Whatever happened to mystery?

But, whenever I read about Facebook in the newspaper, it's always adults who are bashing it. I bet they don't even have accounts. They badmouth how Facebook users are putting ALL of their information out there for criminals and future job prospects to gaze at. It's like we want these terrible things to happen to us: losing job opportunities, being stalked by quesitonable people... This is not the case.

First of all, you can block your personal site so only YOUR FRIENDS can see it. Recently I read an article about how potential jobs will search out your name in Google and Facebook (probably true), but when it comes to Facebook, they can't see your pictures, your information, your conversations unless they are friends with you (if you have on this setting). But, most people DO use this setting. Most of us don't want that much exposure; we just want to stalk our friends.

I just think the argument that I keep reading is lame, and I think it comes from a lack of understanding of the system.

Now, this new thing with the Koobface worm is a little different. Cyber hackers went into Facebook to steal information on people's identities. That's a bit different than other people just searching your name and looking up everything about you.

Check out an article on the worm here.

This is a whole new ballgame. Is it something we need to be worrying about (hackers getting into our Facebook pages to steal information)? Is this of a concern?

What do you think of Facebook?

No comments: