Sunday, July 27, 2008

Baseball Pitchers as MVPs

Is it just me, or can it be pretty lame to always give the MVP role to the pitcher in baseball games?

Look, I understand that the pitcher works really hard, harder than most players. He/she is involved in every single play and can make or break the game. I just think that the pitcher gets the MVP role too much and that other players do not get it enough.

I would be content with a pitcher receiving a game MVP if they pitched a no-hitter, had a lot of strike outs, got out of many tough situations, had a perfect game, etc. But, the other night with the Yankee game, they gave Chamberlain the MVP, and he almost banged Yukilis right in the head! He had a pretty decent game, but so did the offense that scored the winning run! I just hate when the pitchers are the ones to most likely receive these awards when the others players contribute substantially to the winning effort as well.

There is a time and place for them winning the MVP, but not as frequently as it is now! It just seems easy to give it to the pitcher, and that I think, is lame.

What do you think of this phenomenon?

No comments: